Wednesday, August 18, 2010

North Half Moon Lakes

Short on time again (express train never stops), so I don't have much time to write.
Took my son backpacking to Half Moon Lakes.



Lots of mushrooms.

Truffles???? I'm not sure.


Poisonous!!


Mushrooms started growing between the soil and a rock. The mushrooms pried the soil up off the rock, but the oddest thing was the mushrooms were all growing upside-down.


One of my favorite campsites in the whole world! I was in this exact spot about 6 years ago, in winter. Obviously the only person up there. Snow, the lake was frozen with spidery cracks all through, and the wind was rockin' me. But the sky had been clear and the moon lit up the night. That was then. This time it was warm and calm. We watched dozens of falling stars and satellites. The meteorites were very spectacular, with yellow fireballs and glowing tails. My brother said yesterday that this was a predicted meteor-shower. So we lucked-out. I've never seen so many spectacular meteors in my life, on one night. And it was on a night so clear and dark, I never remember such vivid sky.




Of course, we had to have Jiffy-pop popcorn on my camp-stove.











No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be moderated before being allowed to show.